Pumpkin Pet Insurance is one of the most robust pet health plans on the market. It covers preventive care, illness, injury and even end-of-life needs.
Vet bills can mount quickly, especially if you’re dog or cat is diagnosed with a chronic condition or one that requires surgery.
But with Pumpkin Pet Insurance, you can have the peace of mind that you’ll be able to cover your pet’s health needs without breaking the bank. Keep reading to learn more about Pumpkin’s plans, pricing, and terms.
- Covers sicknesses, accidents, and some preventative care visits
- Annual coverage limit of $10k for dogs and $7k for cats
- 90% reimbursement rate after deductible
Pumpkin Pet Insurance Details
What Is Pumpkin Pet Insurance?
Pumpkin Pet Insurance is a preventive health plan and pet health insurance rolled into one policy. It is designed for dogs and cats only.
Pumpkin Pet Insurance works much like a human health insurance policy. After an annual deductible is met, Pumpkin will reimburse pet owners for the costs their pets incur. Pumpkin’s standard policy involves a 10% co-insurance (in which the owner pays the first 10% of costs), and Pumpkin covers the remaining 90% of costs up to the annual limit. Pumpkin Pet will reimburse any licensed vet in the United States or Canada.
The difference between human health insurance and Pumpkin Pet Insurance is how the billing works. With Pumpkin, you pay the vet directly. Pumpkin reimburses you for claims that you file with the company.
What Does It Cover?
Pumpkin’s coverage can be broken into two major categories: preventive care and accident coverage. Under preventive care, Pumpkin covers the following:
- Yearly wellness exam fee
- One vaccine for cats, two for dogs, and four for puppies
- Yearly fecal test
- Yearly blood test for dogs
Under health insurance, Pumpkin covers most major health problems including:
- Behavioral Issues
- Microchip implants
- End-of-life services
- Surgery and specialized care
- Cancers and growths
- Hip dysplasia
- Swallowed objects
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Prescription food for eligible conditions
- Knee surgery for ACL repairs
These are just a few of the long list of health conditions that Pumpkin covers. Notably, dental care and even alternative therapies are also covered at no extra cost.
What Doesn’t It Cover?
The biggest procedure that Pumpkin doesn’t cover is spaying or neutering. Pet owners will need to count these costs before opting for the elective procedure. And it doesn’t cover regular dental cleanings.
Pumpkin also doesn’t cover “pre-existing” conditions. After a pet has been symptom free and not treated for 180 days most conditions will be covered again. The exception to this rule is knee & hind-leg ligament conditions which cannot be covered again in the future.
Will I Have A Deductible?
Yes, with Pumpkin Pet Insurance you will have an annual deductible of $100, $250 or $500. After you’ve met your deductible, you will have a co-insurance model.
As the pet owner, you’ll be responsible for initially paying the vet bill yourself. Then you will file a claim with Pumpkin and it will reimburse you for 90% of the claim (after the deductible is met).
Related: The Ultimate Pet Insurance Guide
Are There Coverage Limits?
Pumpkin Pet insurance coverage tops out at $10,000 per year for dogs and $7,000 per year for cats. According to its research, 99% of vet bills come in under the $10,000 number, so it’s a pretty good bet that you’ll be covered with this option.
However, there may be a handful of accidents that could leave you on the hook for larger expenses. Some pet owners may want to look for providers that offer coverage with higher annual limits (such as $25,000 or more).
Is Pumpkin Pet Insurance Right For You?
Pumpkin Pet Insurance includes wellness coverage, end-of-life services, and everything in between. It is hard to find pet health insurance that covers as much as Pumpkin covers. With annual coverage limits of $7,000 for cats and $10,000 for dogs, it seems like a great plan.
The one drawback to Pumpkin Pet Insurance might be the price. Plan prices vary based on deductibles, the type of animal you own, and other factors. But you may find its prices to be more expensive than other comparable plans.
Pumpkin Pet Insurance Features
Preventative Care Coverage
Visit Pumpkin’s website to view a full list of covered conditions.
14 days (for all conditions)